Monday, June 19, 2017

Ps 23, True peace is found in a DEEP relationship with our savior

    • Review:  Psalm 23 follows Psalm 22, "The Psalm of the Cross"
      • There are no green pastures and no still waters.  The beginning echoes Jesus' words on the cross when he became sin for all mankind, "My God, my God, what hast thou forsaken me?"
      • On the other side of the cross is peace (Constable)

    Psalm 23:1–3 (ESV) — 1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters.
    3 He restores my soul.
    He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name’s sake.

    • We had sheep growing up.  They are weak, defenseless, and very foolish.  They believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.  They only seem interested in filling their stomachs.  They don't like discipline.  And they don't like going back into the protective confines of the pasture.  In other words, they really don't know what is best for them
    • What is another word for shepherd? 
      • Pastor.  It doesn't have to be in a strict sense of the english word today.  Elders are referred to as shepherds and Pastors as well
      • But we need to remember, that our real Pastor is the Lord
    • Why does David mean when he says he will not be in want?
      • Philippians 4:10–12 (ESV) — 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
      • The problem is that we "are in want."  Why? 
        • Because what we want is not what our Shepherd knows is good for us
      • Interesting, it is not "I do not want," it is "I shall not want"
      • Psalm 34:10 (ESV) — 10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
    • Why the phrases "makes me" and "leads me"?  Because we really don't know what is best for us
      • Sometimes the making and the leading can be painful
      • Psalm 32:8–9 (ESV) — 8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
    I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
    9 Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
    which must be curbed with bit and bridle,
    or it will not stay near you.
    • God takes us to two places,  green pastures, and still waters.  What is the point of the adjectives?
      • Green pastures, they are rich in the true nourishment that our souls need
      • Still waters, they are peaceful.  Most of us don't know true quietness, life is too busy.  But stillness is required to hear the voice of God
        • APPLICATION: QT is one place for stillness, but when was the last time you really to away and just spent extended time quietly alone with God
    • Do you see the progression in these verses? (Note: emblematic parallelism)
      • Makes me lie down.  Get us to stop and go after true nourishment
      • Leads me to still waters.  Leads us to the place where we can listen
      • Restores my soul.  True nourishment and God's word restores our soul
    • Finally, He leads me in paths of righteous for his name sake.  What do we learn?
      • God wants to direct us.  Twice, we are told that he leads us.  I wonder how well we recognize his leading
      • There are "paths" of righteousness.  There are more than one path
      • The paths are characterized by righteousness, which means, right-ness before God
      • The paths will honor Him, ie, for his name's sake
    • APPLICATION: Do we look for God to fill us with what we really need?  Or do we look to God for our perceived fullness?  

    Psalm 23:4 (ESV) — 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

    • What is the valley of the shadow of death?
      • One thought: it is a shadow because death can't kill us
      • Another thought: it is anything that has great fear associated
        • In this case, it may have been a battle that David was going into, especially as you continue to read the psalm
      • Hebrew word means deep shadow or gloom or darkness (NOTE: Look up word)
    • What does verse four not say?
      • It doesn't say that God will keep you from the valley
      • It doesn't say there won't be evil
      • It doesn't say "I will fear no evil (period)," it says "I will fear no evil (comma ), for you are with me"
        • Our courage is based on our faith not on our inner strength
        • Human courage is based on inner strength
      • It doesn't say that our comfort will be in death (as the verse is often quoted)
    • Two things comfort, what are they and what do they represent?
      • The rod tends to be for correction or also ruler-ship.  We believe God is sovereign -- that is a key component of our faith
      • The staff tends to be for help or protection (boundaries)
    • APPLICATION: Is our faith in the right things?  Do we trust for right happenings or happiness?  Or do we trust God who knows what we are going through and will bring us through and use it for our good?

    Psalm 23:5 (ESV) — 5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

    • When you think of someone preparing a table, what images come to your mind?  Atmosphere?
      • It is not hurried
      • There is time to eat and fellowship
      • There is peace and rest in our times of eating spiritual food with our savior
    • Why might the meal be hurried?
      • Because his enemies are not far away; they can see him eating
      • For our practical purposes, he is in a battle, he should hurriedly eat his meal and get back out into the battle.  But God wants to prepare the meal, and for David to take his time
    • APPLICATION: How often we rush into our day, because we are in such a hurry, and we have no time for a quiet time, our spiritual meal with the Lord ...
    • Perfumed oil was poured on the head of distinguished guests at great banquets.  It was also said to be refreshing and soothing
    • Additionally, it was common to overfill the cup to show abundance.  In the UAE, in one of the emirates, the Sultan has installed the roads with brooks and sprinklers.  But in the Middle East, water is like gold, so watering the medians is an expression of wealth and abundance
      • In other words, God not only prepares the table for us, he provides an abundant meal, if we would but partake of the meal

    Psalm 23:6 (ESV) — 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

    • Goodness is the Hebrew word tob meaning good.  It is the same word used in Genesis, when God says that his creation was very good
    • Mercy (or love) is the Hebrew word checed or hesed meaning goodness, kindness, loving kindness, faithfulness.  There is some historical root that despite our failures, God is committed to his covenant.  And that is where we see mercy, because it is love independent of our actions
    • So, the battle is raging, fear is all around, but God prepares this great spiritual meal for us.  And as David steps forth to meet the day, his response is … what?
      • God is good, he will provide good things
      • God is merciful, he loves us (despite our failings)
      • God is with me (his goodness and mercy is following), even though I might die
      • And I know my future.  It is not a morbid thought but one of great comfort: I have a home with the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment